Our organization was founded in 1895 to provide a social, cultural and educational atmosphere for girls and young women within the community.
It was established and operating fifty years before the formation of the Girls Clubs of America, and it was the second-oldest Girls Club in America.
Through its long life, the Girls Club has continuously changed and evolved with the needs of the community. From its earlier social and cultural components, it moved to offer many types of classes (pottery, sewing, cooking, music) and in the 1950’s, as women entered the workforce, the Girls Club started the first nursery school which included boys as well.
Today, as The Learning Knoll, the focus is on providing early education and after school programs for children in Western Massachusetts and beyond.